Yeah, it’s my birthday. Yeah, I’m thisclose to 40, and yeah, I’m getting my second (third? Fourth? 25th? I’ve lost count) creative wind. But that’s not important right now. What’s important is that I’ve signed up for a whole bunch of food clubs at the high end restaurants near my home. I expected to be inundated with a deluge of free entrée offers to have I and my wife blissfully munching for all of this week. The actual results? Not so much. Can’t say I’m not disappointed.
But anyway, here’s the inside scoop on the restaurants I signed up for, and what they offer in terms of birthday freebies, as well as my ratings for them. If I ordered an item, I would try to split it with the wife, because I’m that type of guy.
- Red Robin – you can’t go wrong with “free burger and fries, no questions asked”. The only restriction is their premium burgers. I got the Whiskey River BBQ burger. Good stuff, but I don’t like steak fries. Oh well, beggars can’t be choosy. Rating: 5-birthday candles.
- Ruby Tuesdays – they also offer the free burger and fries, but they also include a free biscuit (describe the biscuit). The burger selection is limited to $8 and under, though. I ordered the Smoked cheddar roadhouse burger. Excellent sammich, but the wife couldn’t eat it because she doesn’t do pork, and I didn’t know they put bacon in it. Rating: 5-birthday candles.
- Logans – they offer a free appetizer or dessert. Pretty nifty but they have a $8 limit, which only covers about half of their appetizer menu. Their dessert selection was rather limited too. On the plus side, the appetizer comes with four of their rolls, which are REALLY good. I ordered their bourbon BBQ wings. I liked ‘em, but they were a bit spicy for the wife. Rating: 5-birthday candles.
- Don Pablos – they add ten bucks to your Habaneros club gift card, which is good for pretty much any single item on the menu. Needless to say, you can get a LOT at Don Pablos for ten bucks. I ordered a combo of two enchiladas (one beef, one chicken) and a large chicken taco with some chili potatoes (which were deelish) and some great Mexican rice, along with the standard homemade naked nachos and salsa. These guys LOAD YOU UP. Rating: 5-birthday candles.
- BD’s Mongolian Barbecue- buy a bowl, get an unlimited meal free. This one is sneaky good. It’s basically an all-you-can-eat deal for one cheap bowl. And if you’ve ever been to BDMB, you know that you can go wild with those ingredients. Rating: 4-birthday candles.
- Famous Daves- buy an entrée, get one half off. This one’s respectable, especially considering somebody’s going to be treating you for your birthday. Basically it’s a half-off discount on either your meal or whoever’s treating you. It doesn’t beat free, but it’s still a decent bargain. Rating: 3-birthday candles.
- UNO- $10 off a $25 order. I’m giving this one a passing grade only because I looooove their shrimp skewers, and getting half off an order of those is a good thing. Rating: 3-birthday candles
- Joe’s Crab Shack – free appetizer, but have to buy an entrée first. I don’t consider this much of a deal because Joe’s food is pretty durned expensive, and some of that crab is literally PAINFUL to eat. Have you tried cracking that spined crab? My hands were sore for a week! Rating: 2.5-birthday candles
- Fuddruckers – $5 off a $25 order. This one really isn’t too spectacular, since $25 won’t really get you that much at Fudd’s (Maybe a bigger burger, but that’s it). So the $5 off is really just a supersize option, to take your burger from merely huge up to gargantuan. Rating: 2-birthday candles
- Olive Garden – free appetizer or dessert with purchase of 2 entrees. I can see some value in this. You got a nice romantic dinner with your luvved one, and then you get a free appetizer to boot. Bonus. The wife wasn’t too impressed with it, though. Rating: 2-birthday candles
- Red Lobster- $5 off any 2 entrees. This is probably the worst deal of the group. A dinner for two at Red lobster can easily run you anywhere from $30 to $80 with appetizers, drinks and dessert. Taking a measley $5 off your bill is weaksauce – basically it barely covers the cost of the tip. Rating: 1-birthday candle.
So now that you know who’s got the hookup, why are you still reading this? Go get signed up for these clubs RIGHT NOW!